Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: ECU Flashing for Dummies


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Date:
ECU Flashing for Dummies
 


I am a bit confused, if I set up a usb cable to flash a 32 bit ECU, do I still need to use the RS232 converter module? Is the RS232 converter only for serial ports?

Also is there no need to notch the ECU anymore? Can the ECU be flashed through the harness?



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 959
Date:
 

The ECU has a serial port wired into the wire harness. It meets the logical requirements of RS-232 data, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, no parity etc. but it does not meet the electrical requirements of RS-232C which is +10 to -10V signal. The ECU serial voltage is 0-5V.

If you want to flash the ECU using the COM port of your personal computer you will need a 232 level converter like the MAX232 that converts your PC COM port voltages to 0-5V.

The USB cable mentioned on this board is in fact a cable with a built in USB -> RS232 -> TTL (5V) converter built in. When you plug it into your PC it looks logically like a COM port while it is physically a USB port. So while it is USB on one end it logically looks like RS-232 and it is electrically 0-5V. Exactly what you need to talk to the ECU.

On the question of notching...

You program the ECU by WRITING a modified copy of the binary image into the ECU. The thing is you can WRITE to the ECU thru the harness but you can not READ the ECU thru the harness. So where do you get the original copy to modify and WRITE back?

The first example of each unique model's ECU must be cut open to READ the original file out of it. Once that is done and the file is shared then anyone else with the same model of ECU can now WRITE new maps thru their harness without cutting anything open.

For example the binary images of the 2002-2007 US market Busa and the 05/06 GSXR-1000 ECUs are posted on this site. If you have one of these bikes then you will not need to cut open your ECU. You can modify and write the posted file. On the other hand if you have an 03/04 GSXR-1000 or other bike not posted then you will have to either cut yours open or wait for someone else to do it and share the file.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Date:
 

Thanks for the response, I am in Australia. Has anyone downloaded the Australian ECU yet?

I think maybe hacking my own ECU might be a bit too advanced for me.



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2338
Date:
 

Do you have O2 sensor in yours ?

You may want to ask from Gazza, he should have the bin. I know that they did some work with Tuneboy using info from this board . That experience is the biggest reason why not put the source code of ecueditor avail in publicly yet...

After contacting them I was suggested to receive a copy of tuneboy for testing, never received that. Have since used that for tuning a Triumph over here and no new discoveries in that.

The australian .bin would be good though. On the other hand the experience with US and EU bins, with todays info suggest that it would be fairly ok to use EU bin in US ecu and vice versa.

-- Edited by PetriK at 16:06, 2008-07-16

__________________

When asking a question, you can also consider posting it to facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/ecueditorcom



Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Date:
 

PetriK wrote:

Do you have O2 sensor in yours ?

You may want to ask from Gazza, he should have the bin. I know that they did some work with Tuneboy using info from this board . That experience is the biggest reason why not put the source code of ecueditor avail in publicly yet...

After contacting them I was suggested to receive a copy of tuneboy for testing, never received that. Have since used that for tuning a Triumph over here and no new discoveries in that.

The australian .bin would be good though. On the other hand the experience with US and EU bins, with todays info suggest that it would be fairly ok to use EU bin in US ecu and vice versa.

-- Edited by PetriK at 16:06, 2008-07-16



No O2 sensor on mine.

No go for the file locally, Just got told that tuneboy will be released soon for the Busa's.

What would it cost me to buy the hardware to hack my ECU? As a one off expense I am thinking it may be cheaper and easier to send the ECU to one of you guys to hack it then you will have the Aussie bin as well.

If you think the other countries versions will be ok to flash in then I night just give that a go. I have ordered an 232r - TTL converter so I will most likely be back to ask more questionsconfused

-- Edited by horndog at 13:53, 2008-07-19

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 959
Date:
 

Just remember that there is no going back. To try a US version means erasing your native version first. If it doesn't work then your screwed. Doing it yourself at this point is not that hard. We know the exact location of the AUD port, you won't have to go digging around for it. You'll only need to cut a very small hole.

The equipment you'll need can likely be found at your local electronic hobbies store. You can get the software you need free from us.

On the other hand if your willing to send it to me I'll do it for you.



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 44
Date:
 

RidgeRacer wrote:

Just remember that there is no going back. To try a US version means erasing your native version first. If it doesn't work then your screwed. Doing it yourself at this point is not that hard. We know the exact location of the AUD port, you won't have to go digging around for it. You'll only need to cut a very small hole.

The equipment you'll need can likely be found at your local electronic hobbies store. You can get the software you need free from us.

On the other hand if your willing to send it to me I'll do it for you.



I just realised I have a PIC programmer in the shed, would. I be able to use this to read the ECU? It has an 18 pin socket. 

Diagram attached




Attachments
__________________
t5r


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:
 

Do you have the software for the Propeller chip, to get from the aud to a file?

t5r



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 2338
Date:
 

t5r wrote:

Do you have the software for the Propeller chip, to get from the aud to a file?

t5r




There is a link to the source on the sh7052 group on this board, I believe....for Parallax, PIC and in C for sh7086 to read the flash contents.



__________________

When asking a question, you can also consider posting it to facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/ecueditorcom

t5r


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Date:
 

Yes there is a download for Propeller, and I have porogramed my Propeller and conected to the aud port. I can see the code scroling through the paralax serial terminal, but I have no way of saving the code to a file from the paralax serial terminal. Is there a pice of code that my download is missing?

Regards
t5r



__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 959
Date:
 

You just need a terminal program with capture capability like hyperterminal. Your propeller should start sending as soon as you turn it on so just have the serial connected to hyperterminal and capture all the .s19 lines.

__________________
Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard